Upcoming NAA Student Housing
Attention: For both KY and OH, the release date for this update has been postponed until further notice.
Dear NAA Click & Lease User,
The NAA Click & Lease Program will be updated on October 27, 2021 to include the following changes to your lease forms. The Release Notes, which are accessible when logged into your NAA Click & Lease Program, include copies of these upcoming forms.
While we outline major changes below, we ask that you take a moment to familiarize yourself with this new version of the student housing lease. This form will be updated for the following states: KY, OH, and OK.
Should you have any questions about these changes, please contact NAA. As always, we recommend you and your local legal counsel review all new and/or updated forms before implementing them into your leasing operations.
- Student Housing Lease Contract
- Paragraph 2 (Apartment) – Clarifies the leased premises, provides options for owners to specify the unit/bedroom/floorplan, and defines the resident’s use and access.
- Paragraph 3 (Term) – Prohibits automatic renewals (where allowed by law).
- Paragraph 4 (Rent and Charges) – Provides for a total sum due and specifies installments. The following subsections were added: payments, application of money received, utilities and services, late charges, ad valorem taxes/fees and charges – additional rent, and lease changes.
- Paragraph 6 (Guests) – Defines “guests,” limits the total number of people allowed in the unit, and gives the owner the right to exclude certain persons.
- Paragraph 12 (Community Policies or Rules) – Enhanced conduct limitations and includes a photo/video release and provisions relating to attendance/enrollment verification.
- Paragraph 14 (Parking) – Updated parking provision to include owner’s right to regulate scooters and bicycles.
- Paragraph 20 (Animals) – Includes a representation by the resident that any requests they make are true, accurate, and in good faith.
- Paragraph 23 (Subletting, Transfers, Relocation and Replacements) – Authorizes transfers, relocations, and replacements of residents under certain circumstances. Prohibits renting, or offering to rent, a unit or bedroom.
- Paragraph 31 (Cancellation) – Adds a provision allowing lease cancellation within 72 hours of lease execution.
- Removed paragraphs/subparagraphs from the Student Housing Lease:
- Co-Residents and Occupants paragraph
- Security Deposit Deductions subparagraph
- Individual Liability for Late Charges and Damages paragraph
- Keys paragraph – now becomes Access devices
- Furnishing paragraph
- Allocations and Exclusive Use Areas paragraph
- Landlord Remedies subparagraph
- Contacting You paragraph
- Obligation to Vacate paragraph
- Move Out Notice paragraph (in states where MTM is not legally required)
- Notice Regarding Exclusive Use
- Provides student housing operators the ability to assign space to residents without requiring a separate addendum that the resident must sign.
- This form will be added for the following states: KY and OH
How will the users experience within the NAA Click & Lease be affected?
The following changes will be implemented within the NAA Click & Lease Program in correlation to the form revisions.
- Multiple new fields will be added and removed from the Student Lease section of the lease editor.
- Multiple new fields will be added to the Other Charges section of the lease editor.