Back to Events
Fair Housing and Fair Chances for People with Criminal Histories
Thursday, April 20, 2023
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (EDT)
Fair Housing and Fair Chances for People with Criminal Histories answers this question:
How do we house people who have criminal histories in a just and equitable way without bringing problems to our housing portfolio?
This event will educate attendees about:
- Barriers faced by citizens returning from incarceration.
- Mitigation strategies around housing and related areas that are being developed by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections and our local reentry organization, the Montgomery County Office of Reentry.
- Have an open and robust conversation with the Deputy Director of the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections and other reentry professionals about the views the housing industry has on today’s topic.
- Review of the June 2022 Memorandum from the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), on best practices that housing providers should do to welcome all people with a criminal history and what HUD will do to monitor that activity.
- How and where to get advice on issues surrounding people reentering society from incarceration and justice involvement.
- Fair Housing best practices when screening applicants
- New legislation on the state and federal Level about “Fair Chance Laws” that are proposed and/or enacted.
|John Zimmerman||Jamie Gee||Lanaya Mcdonald||Roni Burkes|
|Deborah Lieberman||Jessica Jenkins|